Friday, March 22, 2013

Mother of Pearl Swallowtail / NAC #38

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Friday. Just a quick post for you tonight. It's late here in the DMV and I'm trying to get to bed. It's been a long day and I think it may be an even longer weekend. We have a late winter/early spring snow storm headed our way and between the barometric changes that is bringing and the back pain my, 38 weeks-very pregnant, daughter is having I think this may be a very eventful weekend and I wanted to get this posted as early as possible just in case I didn't get a chance to post it later. :)

This week's challenge over at Nacho Average Challenge is a color challenge. As many of you know, they are not my favorite, by any stretch of the imagination. I didn't even have a sketch to help me out with this one. I decided to get out my brand new Swallowtail stamp and give it a try. I also thought I'd try and blend the colors in the wings and I thought the Mother of Pearl technique would be a nice one to try with this. Here's this week's card-

Card featuring Swallowtail Stamp and Mother of Pearl Technique

Here are the colors in this week's challenge-


So this is only the second time that I've tried the Mother of Pearl technique and I did it a little different this time than I did the last time. Last time I stamped in Black Staz-On then colored the image and then created the MoP effect. This time I created the effect first and then stamped and colored. You know I always tell you the truth here. Although I like the effect, I'm not sure that I'm in love with my first attempt at it. I think now that I know the few tips that I share below for you, I could probably come up with a card I like even more. Unfortunately, there's just no time for that this week. Sorry- :( 


I learned 3 things this time-
1- Even if you use your embossing buddy, if you choose to Heat Emboss, your embossing powder will still stick to your MoP technique areas. I really had to go in very carefully with a paintbrush and q-tip to get as much of the excess powder off. If you look closely you can still see some around the antennae. For those of you that are OCD like me this is not a fun idea. :( Just saying.
2- Adding color on top of your MoP will extend your color's drying time significantly. Be Prepared. I recommend using your heat tool. I did not know this and the result is the pink smudging at the upper right edge of the left wing. 
3- In addition to the glow that the MoP technique gives your finished color, adding color on top of the MoP in this manner can cause the color to separate somewhat. This can be seen the most in the lower portion of the middle section of the wings, the Primrose Petals portion. I have to say I kinda like that look, believe it or not. I think it looks kind of like a stained glass look.

Here's another look-


I stamped the image with VersaMark and then Heat Embossed it with Early Espresso Embossing Powder on Glossy Whisper White paper. I used Frost White paint for the MoP technique. The colors were added from my stamp pads with my daubers increasing the color until I had the depth where I wanted it.

And one more-



Well, that's all I have for you today. I hope you like it and I hope the fabulous ladies over at NAC like it too. There's still time to play along and I hope you find time to play with us. If you liked today's card or have questions about it, I hope you'll leave me a question in the space below. I love hearing from you. I read all of your comments and they really do make my day! If you'd like to +1 or Pin today's card, I've put those buttons on my blog for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. you are very appreciated! Till Next Time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan









Pin It

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan