Friday, November 2, 2012

End of the Week Technique #53 - Altering the Square Die

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Friday! I hope you have had a Fabulous week and are looking forward to an exceptional weekend. I'm so excited there's no hurricane to worry about this weekend! I'm also so excited to be holding my first Holiday Open House. Did you see the flyer I created for it yesterday, with my new MDS2? Hopefully I'll have lots of friends come by for some spectacular holiday shopping.

Today I have a card for you that incorporates one of our dies, but in a different way. You know what that means? Once again, you get more bang for your buck. Love when that happens! Here's today's card-


4x4 card featuring Quintessential Flower and
Scalloped Square Bigz Die
You know I try to use all of my stamps as soon as possible after getting them. I feel like if I'm ordering them I should be using them. This Quintessential Flower stamp though has sat unused for a while. I got it because I really liked the last layering flower stamp we had, but once I got it I just wasn't sure what to do with it. I actually stamped & punched the flower out a few weeks back trying to get a little mojo going and then nothing.  Then I saw this weeks sketch over at Mojo Monday and decided to try and put something together. Here's the sketch I was working with-


I decided to go with the square card and then had to figure out how to make the scalloped layer. I wish I could take credit for the technique I'll describe below, but I can't. I saw it a few months back and decided to play with it for this card and it worked out very nicely, or at least I think it did.

Here's a close-up of my flower detail-



I used Lucky Limeade, Elegant Eggplant, Wisteria Wonder, & Perfectly Plum for my flower. The middle image, if I remember correctly is Perfectly Plum, stamped off once. After my images were stamped I used the corresponding punches to punch out the layers and Dimensionals in between each layer. The banner is from Itty Bitty Banners and was cut out with the Banners Framelet. I also stamped the flower image in Wisteria Wonder on Wisteria Wonder c/s for a tone on tone effect. My Wisteria Wonder layer was created with my Scalloped Square Bigz Die.

Here's a look at the inside-



 I wasn't sure what purpose I was going to use this card for, so I simply left it without a sentiment on the inside. I stamped my image in Elegant Eggplant for a bit of pretty on the inside and my card was finished. I think it will make a simple but pretty thank-you or thinking of you card. What do you think?

For today's technique, here's what you'll need- Cardstock in your desired color, the Scalloped Square Bigz Die and your Big Shot or other embossing/cutting tool.

Here's how you do it-
1-Make your standard "sandwich" with your Die and c/s and run it through your Big Shot. This is what you'll get-


 2- Remove that c/s from your Die and decide how much smaller you would like your square to be. I chose to make it two rows smaller. Once you've decided on your size, reposition your paper to match that size and run it through your Big Shot again. This is what it will look like-


3- If you were interested in a Scalloped Rectangle instead of a square you could use the piece as is-

4-If you choose to go with a square simply position your paper so that the same amount of rows will be cut and run it through your Big Shot again-

5-Now you've got a smaller Scalloped Square to use in your project. How cool is that!?!

I love finding new ways to use my product and I know this is one technique that will be getting utilized plenty. Here's another look at the card with the smaller Scalloped Square-


So what do you think about today's technique. This is so simple, I'm not sure why I didn't think of it before. Sometimes it's the simplest things that make big impacts. Well, I hope you liked today's card and technique and I hope it inspires you to try something new today. I love hearing from you so if you liked today's card or have questions about it, I hope you'll leave me a message below.  I read all of your comments and they really do make my day! If you'd like to +1 or Pin today's card, I've put those buttons on my blog for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to stop by my little corner of the world. You are very appreciated! I hope you have a fabulous weekend with plenty of time for Family, Friends and of course Creativity! Till Next Time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan