Tuesday, July 10, 2012

End of the Week Technique #40 Nestled Layers - SSC #263

Pin It
Hey y'all. I hope you're having a great day! We've finally broken our All-Time Heat Wave here in the DMV and how happy are we!?! Soooo Happy. :) I'm doing this week's EWT a little early this week since it's a challenge card and I'd like to go ahead and post my card. Hope you don't mind. You don't? That's why you're the B.E.S.T.!

I've seen a couple of this type of card before done with the Labels Framelets, but I haven't seen any done with the Hearts. Yeah, yeah, this Scaredy Cat's a trailblazer all right! HAHAHAHAHA. I don't recall anyone ever really giving it a name so I'm calling it "Nested Layers" since the two layers are kind nested together. If you think of a better name let me know, kay? Kay. I'd been wanting to do this with the Labels Framelets, in fact that had been my plan for this week's EWT. Then I saw this weeks sketch over at 411 and decided to change it up just a wee bit.

Here's today's card, the tutorial will follow-

Nestled Layers Card featuring
Hearts Framelets, Bordering on Romance and Twitterpated DSP
Can you see how it's nestled? Here, let me show you-


How cool is that! Why yes, I did do the *Happy Dance* when I tried it and it worked. So exciting when that happens. Yea Shan!

Here's the sketch it was based on-


Another great sketch by the Stamping 411 ladies! I stuck pretty close to the sketch just making it a "gate-fold" card instead of a standard "flat-front" card so I could do my technique. I stepped a little out of my zone for this one. Luckily, that's coming a little easier nowadays than it used to. Gee, I guess challenging myself to a  challenge a week is paying off! : D For those of you that are new here, I'm a pretty visual person, but I'm also a pretty literal person. When I see a sketch, it really is a little hard for me to change shapes. There was a day when I would have seen this sketch and not done it because I didn't have a big "floral"/circular centerpiece. I don't have too many issues with changing the orientation, but I mostly keep all the elements of the sketch on my card, usually in pretty much the same layout. However, when I saw this sketch I thought of a big heart instead of flowers and just went with it.

I used Blushing Bride as my cardstock but only because I still had so much left and it matched the DSP I was planning on using. I began with Blushing Bride for my base and my large heart and added pieces of Twitterpated DSP to the front panels. The smaller heart is cut from Whisper White c/s. I stamped my image from Bordering on Romance twice in Black Staz-On so it wouldn't bleed when I colored it in. Surprise, Surprise, I got this right the first time. After stamping I centered my images in the heart framelet, cut it out and colored the images with Pretty in Pink, Regal Rose, Melon Mambo, Certainly Celery and Wild Wasabi Stampin Write Markers and my blender pens. I sponged the edges of both hearts, inside and outside edges, with Blushing Bride Classic Ink. I carefully adhered the outer half of the larger heart to the left panel and the outer edge of the smaller heart to the right panel with Dimensionals. Getting the inner heart positioned just right was the hardest part of the whole card and even that wasn't too bad.

Because you know I love the inside of the card to be as pretty as the outside, here it is-

Card Inside featuring
Bordering on Romance and Friendly Phrases
The sentiment is from Friendly Phrases and is stamped in Blushing Bride. I stamped a couple of the images from the Bordering on Romance set in Black Staz-On and colored them in with the same colors listed above. I then let Tink have her way  to sparkle it up a little. So pretty in real life. You can actually see a little of the sparkle here. What do you think? I'm so happy with how this card turned out. 

So for today's EWT- Here's what you're going to need-
A framelet set of your choice. I used hearts and I know it works great with the labels too. Will have to try it out with some of the newer sets once I get them home.
Dimensionals
Stamp set of your choice
Accessories as desired to decorate the rest of your card

This is a super simple technique, one I'm sure you're going to want to play with. Here's what you do-

1- Pick two adjoining framelet sizes. I think mine were #'s 3 and 4. Lay them on your piece of c/s and secure it down with either a post-it note or some painters tape so they won't move around.


Run it through your Big Shot. This will give you one thin heart piece (the Blushing Bride one on my card) and a smaller heart. Don't get rid of the inner heart you can use it in another project. (Sorry I just realized I should have taken a picture after I ran it through) :(

2- Stamp your image/s and center it within the smaller heart framelet. Run it through the Big Shot and color, decorate it however you wish.



Ok...So while I remembered to stamp with Staz-On the first time instead of classic ink, I however did not remember to stamp my images before I ran the above piece of c/s through my Big Shot. *headdesk* I now have a nice white heart though, begging to be used in some project. Hey, you know I tell and show the good as well as the bad.


3- Place Dimensionals on the outer halves of your cut pieces. I adhered my bigger heart first. However, I think it would probably be easier to mount the smaller one first and then the larger one. As you can see in the second picture below, I used the edge of the c/s to center my layers. The center point of each heart is aligned with the panel's edge. When the card is closed they will lay one inside the other and keep the card closed-




4- When you go to open the card they will separate from each other-




5- Smile when you see your finished card and smile even bigger when you think of the joy it will bring someone. Wouldn't you love getting a card like this and knowing someone took the time to make this special card for you? I know I would.


Well, that's all I have for you today. I hope you liked today's card and this week's EWT. Hopefully it will inspire you to try something new today and to make a special gift for someone who would be thrilled by a little hand-stamped love. As always, if you use this technique to create a card/project, I'd love to see it and post it for others to see as well. I love hearing from you and read all my comments and try to respond to them all as well. If you liked today's card and have a moment to drop me a line, it would totally make my day. If you'd like to +1 or Pin it, I've put the buttons here on my blog for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)


Thanks so much for taking the time out of your busy day to stop by. I hope you'll come back soon. I have another challenge card for you tomorrow. Wow! 3 in one week. Lol! I also have a new Scrapbook page for you still to come this week. 


Till next time-


Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storms to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.


Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. wow, so pretty!! Love that stamp set and your tutorial is awesome! Thanks for joining us this week at Stamping 411.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that looks so hard but your directions for it are so clear I think I could do it too. Thank you for the 'hand holding'! And...I love the inside too...Tink does such good work. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan