Friday, June 8, 2012

End of the Week Technique #35 - Brayered and Embossed Checkered Background

Pin It
Hey y'all. It's Friday! (Oh Noes! I just said that to my self and now that awful "It's Friday" song is swimming around my head on auto-repeat! Help, someone quick...ear-worm!!!! AUGH ):  ) Oh well, I hope your week's been great and I haven't just shared my ear-worm with you. LOL :)

I have a really simple technique for you today. It can go from a simple background to a Wow focal point, depending on your color combinations and other card elements. I probably see this technique once a month or so during my blog reads. I first tried it last fall, with my upline Robin, I think it was at a team meeting, on a holiday card. I thought I'd try it today on a fun, bright, baby card.

Here's today's card-

Brayered and Embossed Checkered Background Baby Card
with Easy Events Stamp Set
I showed this to a friend the other day and she just loved it. I started with a base of Certainly Celery. Next came my checkered background using Certainly Celery and Daffodil Delight. I knotted a piece of our new stitched ribbon in Daffodil Delight and secured the ends under the card with a little SNAIL. My sweet little ducky is popped up with dimensionals. So quick and easy!

Here's what you need for this technique- Brayer, Big Shot, Stripes Embossing Folder, Ink Pads (I used two colors but you can also use just one color for a more tone-on-tone look) and of course cardstock, your choice of colors, I used Whisper White.

Here are the steps-

1- Pick out your colors. I chose two, but like I said you could choose one and it would still give a nice effect. (I'll try to do this soon and post it.)
2- Ink up your brayer with the first color and roll it on the inside cover of your Stripes Embossing Folder (this is the side that has "Sizzix" written on it. Make sure that you have even coverage on all of the raised portions.
3- Position your c/s, wherever makes you happy in the folder. (I lined mine up with the top and side so everything my lines would be straight, but then you all know I'm a "little OCD" hahaha) Carefully Close it and run it through your Big-Shot. Remove your c/s. 
4- Re-ink your folder. If you're going to use the same color, go ahead and re-ink your brayer. If you're changing colors, rinse your brayer and embossing folder, tap water is fine, until the water runs clear. This won't take long. Dry both well, then re-ink your brayer with your new color and ink the folder again.
5- Turn your c/s 90 degrees (1/4 turn), position your c/s and run it through again. You will now have the checkered, or plaid look you see above. Because I used such a large piece of c/s it didn't get colored completely when I ran it through, so I just inked it up again and moved my c/s up making sure to line up with the previously embossed areas so my spacing stayed even.
6- Enjoy your new background or accent piece. Smile when you think of the joy and smiles it will bring to the face of your card's recipient. (Always the best part for me!)

***TIP*** You may want to try running a piece of your c/s dry through your Big Shot with this embossing folder first. You may need to adjust which platform level you use on with your machine. I did this with one tab down. If you look real close, you can see a little "wrinkling, for lack of a better word" in some of the white spaces. I think my machine is a little tight. Everyone's is different. Next time I will do it with no tabs. It's still a beautiful card, but the OCD in me wants it perfect of course. :)

Here's my sweet little ducky-

Easy Events Duck and Labels Framelet
How Stinkin' Cute is he?!? Love him. I stamped him in Staz-On  on a scrap of Whisper White c/s. If you look closely you can see the sentiment below him. I had actually intended for it to be seen, but my water turned out darker than I had planned. *blush* *SMH* Don't you love it when people post things that aren't "perfect" and then admit it?!? I know I sure do.  I used my second smallest Labels Framelet to cut him out. He fit perfectly. It makes me so happy when things work like that. I used my Blener Pends and Classic Ink Pads  to color. Here's what I used- So Saffron, Daffodil Delight, and Tangerine Tango for my little cutie-pie. Certainly Celery and Baja Breeze for the umbrella, Baja Breeze and Marina Mist for the hat and Marina Mist for the water. Once I had the water colored in though I realized I had made a little "Ooopsie" or as we like to say "I had created a design opportunity." What to do, what to do? Yep, I channeled my inner Pooh Bear. Think...Think...Think and not my inner Eyeore (Oh, Bother!) I had a lightbulb moment, love when those happen. Let Tink come out to play. Well I did and I think the results are fabulous. You can still make out the "for baby" if you look close, otherwise it just looks like extra shading in the water. "Thanks Tink!" 

Here's the inside-



The sentiment is from Petite Pairs. Seriously, if you only get one sentiment set, get this one. I use it all the time. I think it's probably one of my best stamp purchases. I actually mounted them both on the same block and stamped just one time. ***TIP***  If you do this, please make sure to do a test stamp on your grid paper (or other scrap paper) to ensure everything is lined up just like you want it. I got lucky and had it right the first time. Yea, Shan! My precious little froggy is from last year's Ronald McDonald set. It's retired now, but it wasn't when I made the card. I colored him in with Wild Wasabi, that was an In-Color when I first did Stampin' Up years ago. A little love from Tink and he's so handsome you just know he's really a prince.  If these two cute little fellas don't make you smile, well then I'm just at a loss.

So what do you think? I hope you liked today's card and I hope it inspires you to try something new. If you liked today's card and would like to +1 or Pin it, I've put the buttons on my sidebar for your convenience. Your comments always make me smile, so feel free to let me know what you think. Friends and Followers are always welcome too! :)

That's all I have for you today and for this week. I hope you'll come back and see me soon.
Thanks for stopping by. You are so appreciated. Till next time-

Wishing you a weekend filled with Family, Friends and of course lots of time for creativity.

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storm to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely adorable! As a soon-to-be Great Aunt I'm going to need a baby card in the near future. Is it okay to case this delightful card?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan