Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Special Fun-Fold Graduation Card

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Humpday, just two more days until the weekend. I love short work weeks! :) I hope your weeks been Amazing so far!

It's that time of year again...graduation time. I thought I was pretty much done with that, at least until my nephews manage it (and Heaven forbid, my baby brothers) but there's still 4 more years before I have to worry about that. Whew! However, I have a special friend whose daughter is graduating this weekend. She is such a sweet and funny and altogether tremendously special girl, how could I not make a card for her. So I started looking around for ideas. I found a couple that gave me a good jumping off point. In fact, I made two and couldn't decide which one I liked better so guess what she gets? That's right! Both of them!!!! :) If anyone deserves two, it's A. I'd really love to be sending her some sweets. I love baking goodies for her and she loves eating them. See, I told you she was special and worthy. :) However, I fear they would not make the trip as her dad loves him some home-made goodies too. Oh well, maybe I'll just put a little I.O.U in with her cards.

I didn't want to create just any regular ole' card for A. No-siree-Bob. It needed to be as unique as she is. I've seen lots of this style card around blog-landia. Some call it a "kriss-cross" card, some a "square-petal" fold, I just call it fun. I got the inspiration for this card from Debbie Henderson's blog. Mine has a lot of the same elements, just done in a different way.

Here's today's card-

Fun Fold Graduation Card with Owl
I knew saving those little punched owl pieces would be a good idea! I sponged the sky background, in Bashful Blue, because I wanted the feeling that the sky's the limit and for A, I'm sure even the sky couldn't hold her back. The sentiment is from a retired hostess set I got as a door prize. How cute is that font?

Here's a closer look-


You know how I like to do a little something special on the inside of my cards....well this whole thing is the inside. LOL! I added a little sparkle to the butterfly for that something extra. I also popped the sweet little owl up with dimensionals to make it look like he was flying. I really hope she likes this.

This fold is soooo easy. If you check out the link above it shows you how to do it. It all starts with a 7.5 x 7.5 piece of cardstock and folds down to fit in one of our standard envelopes. When it's closed this is what it looks like-


For the inspiration piece I think she just flipped it over to make a graduation "cap". I wanted to do something a little "more" for A's card so I made a belly band and cap. Here's what it looks like-


I punched a strip of Silver Glimmer Paper with my Scalloped Border Punch and adhered it to the underside of my belly band. I then made a miniature of the big card for the cap. I did this, instead of just cutting a square, so the cap could have some added dimension. I punched a 1/2" circle and elevated it with a dimensional for height and so I could use it to secure my bakers twine. My sentiment from Teeny Tiny Wishes was stamped in Black Staz-On an punched out with my Word Window Punch. I used a Mini-Glue Dot to secure it in place.

Here's a closer look-


 By placing the cap on an angle, it effectively covers the "seams" created by closing the folds. I thought this was kind of clever if I do say so myself. :) When you slide the belly band off, you can see just how to open the card, no flipping over necessary.

Now, you know I'm not necessarily the brightest light-bulb in the box right? Hey, everyone should be aware of their assets as well as their shortcomings. At least I'm honest about them....As I'm typing this I realize I could have hidden the seam on the belly-band by simply placing the cap over it. DUH!!! I guess that would be too easy though. I noticed this as I was about to, excitedly, type that I had not left the seam uncovered. *SMH* Oh well, let's just call it another design element shall we? Here's what I did-


I carried the glitz over from the front of the card by punching a medallion from the Silver Glimmer Paper with my Small Scalloped Circle Punch and adhering it over the seam with a few Mini-Glue Dots. I'm so  happy with how this turned out. I think it looks so pretty from either side. I really hope she likes it. I know I enjoyed making it for her. And if she doesn't well at least she has a second card, and a promise of Noms! :)

That's all I have for you today. I hope you liked it and I hope it inspires you to try something new for someone special. I'd love to hear what you think about today's card. Your comments always make my day! If you liked today's card and would like to +1 or Pin it, I've put the buttons on my sidebar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are always welcome too!

Hope to see you back soon, I've still got this weeks challenge card and the End of the Week technique to show you. Till next time-

Remember- Life is often more about the storms than the peace they seek to overwhelm. It's not about Waiting for the storm to pass, but Learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe-
Shan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan