Friday, April 6, 2012

"Magnificent" Quilted Faux-Stitched Card / End of the Week Technique #27

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Friday! I guess I should say Happy Good Friday or Happy Passover too. I hope you have had a great week and are looking forward to an Amazing weekend.

For this week's EWT I have a card I CASE'd from Tracy Wegener over at Paper Crafter's Library. You can see the video here. She showcased this card and technique and I liked it so much I wanted to do my own.

Here's today's card-

Faux Stitched Card, Domestic Goddess DSP, Perfect Words Stamp Set

I started with a base of Basic Grey c/s and layered Daffodil Delight and Pool Party c/s on top. This card opens up on the side which is a little different than most of my cards. In fact this may be the first one like this on my blog. Both the Daffodil Delight and Pool Party layers are popped up with dimensionals. I hadn't originally intended for there to be a layer of Pool Party showing around the top and sides of the DSP, but apparently my measurements were off just slightly somewhere so that's what ended up happening. I kind of like it though. The Pool Party Layer was run through my Big Shot with the Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folder for a sweet detail.

For my DSP layer I chose five pieces of DSP from the Domestic Goddess collection. It's so cute and the colors are just sooo cheery! The five pieces were cut at 1 3/4' x 1 1/2' each and then layered over each other at the 1" mark. I really like the look of this card but I think next time I will try the pieces at 1 1/2" squares so the DSP isn't quite so high. This was the first time I had used the Faux Stitching technique and while I think this card would have been cute with just the DSP, I think this technique really makes the DSP "Pop" 

I laid my "quilted layer" on my Pool Party layer to determine where to stamp my sentiment and stamped it write over the embossing using my Basic Grey Stampin Write Marker to ink it up. I used Perfect Words which is a "Hostess Set" but you can choose it with your free product $'s with a qualifying purchase.

For this technique you just need a few supplies-
Mat-Pack and Piercer and a Fine Tip Marker (I used my Stampin Write Marker, it's great because it has a brush-tip end and a fine tip end and they coordinate perfectly with all of my cardstock colors and DSP's)

Step 1- Use you Mat-Pack and Piercer to make your holes. Stampin Up's Guide in the Mat-Pack has lots of different sized holes. I chose the smallest ones and positioned it so the area where my DSP pieces met up was in between 2 rows. I then made a zig-zag pattern using my Piercer to make the holes. Do this for all the areas you want your "stitching" to be.

You would do a straight line the same way- just line up the edge of your guide along a grid line to make sure your "stitching line" was straight and then decide how many holes you wanted to skip in order to determine your "stitch length".

Step 2- Connect your holes. I used the side of Mat-Pack as a ruler to make sure my connecting lines were straight. I then used my Basic Grey Stampin Write Marker to connect all my holes and my DSP was all stitched up giving a "quilt-like" appearance.

Step 3- Congratulate yourself on the addition of a very nice focal point!

How stinking simple was that!?!

I adhered this to my embossed Pool Party layer with Tombow, (it works so much better than SNAIL for embossed pieces) wrapped some Calypso Coral Bakers Twine around my layers, tied it up with a cute little bow and the front of my card was finished. Oh and I used a Mini-Glue Dot behind my Bow to make sure it stayed in line and didn't droop on me.

Here's the inside-


I stamped the rest of the sentiment from the front of the card in Basic Grey on a Whisper White background.  To this layer I also added a strip of coordinating DSP that I sponged first with more Basic Grey. I then sponged the outside of my Whisper White c/s with the same color and my card was finished.

Such a easy card! It looks like it took much more effort than it really did. In fact, I think it took me longer to refer to the video to get all the measurements and cut the cardstock just right, than any other portion of the card creation. LOL!

What do you think of this technique? It's definitely one I will use again, especially now that I see how easy it is. It's a good technique to add that special touch or maybe to "frame" a focal point or just to add a decorative frame around the edge of your card. This also makes for a great addition to your scrapbook pages.

Well, that's all I have for today. I hope you liked today's card and I hope it inspires you to try something new today. As always, if you make something with this technique I would love to see what you came up with.

If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked it, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

I hope to see you back here next week for an all new MDS Monday project. My friend Jas is leaving in the morning so I will be back to my regular design schedule. I hope you have an Amazing weekend full of Family, Friends, and of course plenty of time for creativity! Happy Easter and Happy Passover to you all.

Till next time-

Be Safe,
Shan

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan