Wednesday, March 14, 2012

End of the Week Technique # 24- A Paisley Petal Make & Take "De-Construct"

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Humpday! I missed you guys yesterday! But I was non-stop literally from 8:30am until 10:30pm.

I have a new card for you today and a question.

Do you ever look at other designers cards (or sites) and think "I wonder how long it took them to make that card" or "I wonder how many attempts it took to get that just right?"

Maybe I'm alone in thinking I'm the only one who doesn't make a card "Blog Perfect" on the first try, but I doubt it. I'm sure I'm not the only Scaredy Cat who has failed to produce the "Perfect" card on the first go round. In fact I have 2 cards at home that took multiple tries to turn out "right". In working and re-working the first one, I came up with the initial design for this card which then evolved into the final design.

I will show the other cards evolution on another post. I will also start keeping track of these "evolutions" so I can show them in future posts. Sometimes people say "I got my inspiration from X" but it's hard to know how they got form X to Y to Z. I'll show you how I got there. Then you can let me know if you think it's helpful, or interesting or not.

Here's today's finished card-

Paisley Petal, Mixed Bunch Punch Make and Take
I did this card recently, as a Make & Take, for a team meeting. I have to admit I was a little nervous because it was the first Make & Take I had done for my team, but it was well received. I really love that Paisley Petal DSP and I couldn't believe when I went to use it that I hadn't even opened the pack yet. I'm one of those people that Loves their DSP but just doesn't use it enough. SMH! And this card uses my ALL-Time Favorite Color Island Indigo! Love it!

So- By now (if you've read any of my posts at all) you know I've got a little OCD problem when it comes to stamping. And also, I hate to throw out usable scraps of cardstock or DSP. After all, You just never know when you might be able to use them for punches or making those cards where you use strips of cardstock to make patterns you know.... I just can't. So I keep the scraps in a folder with the packet of c/s so they're all together and there you go. But if it weren't for keeping scraps, well we wouldn't have this pretty little card.

In the process of making my swap card, which underwent multiple changes, I ended up using an Edgelet in the final design here-


This made this weeks EWT So Very Easy! 

You see that big open cut-away space formed by using the Edgelet? It gives you a nice piece with beautiful decorative edges....

Of course, I couldn't just throw away that "Huge" scrap of c/s. Oh No! And as I looked at it and turned it, I began to think that the decorative edges might look good on a card, framing some DSP... and so it turns out they did.





I cut a piece of Paisley Petals DSP (I think it's 7 x 2 1/2 it was a month ago), Tombowed it down and then Tombowed the two Island Indigo pieces down on top of it. I then simply flipped it over and trimmed the DSP over-hang with my paper-snips. It needed more. So, back to the drawing board or in this case the Big Shot-


I repeated the process this time running my scraps through the Big Shot with the Adorning Accents folder that coordinated with the Edgelet. Now we were cooking with Crisco! Love that combo!

***For the EWT-After a little playing around I discovered you could, depending on how much DSP you wanted to show, change the size of your borders. For the size I have, I cut squares that I believe were 6x4 to go with my DSP of 7 x 2 1/2. Use a piece of grid paper and lay it out on an old card front to check your sizes. You can make it any size you'd like. It's your card, Personalize it to make it uniquely yours!***


Then, I punched two flowers with the Mixed Bunch Punch, one with Island Indigo and one from a coordinating DSP. I sponged the edges of both with Island Indigo and then ran them through the Big Shot with the Petals-a-Plenty Embossing Folder. I used my Bone Folder to curl the edges up to give the edges some dimension and staggered the petals when I layered them so you could see both layers. I used Mini-Glue Dots to adhere them to each other and to the Island Indigo layer.

I stamped the sentiment from Petite Pairs, what a great set, in Island Indigo on Whisper White and used the Modern Label Punch to Punch it out. I then sponged it with Island Indigo, gave it a little dimension by curving it with the edge of my paper snips and tucked the edge under the flower and secured it with a Mini-Glue Dot and the Front was done.

Here's the inside-


Very simple- Whisper White edged with Island Indigo. The sentiment is the rest of the one from the front. The flower is from Fabulous Florets. I thought it coordinated well with the flowers on the front.

So that's how my card evolved... from a Swap Card Scrap, to a card that had potential that is now in the "it's got to be fixed-up pile" (cause you know I couldn't just throw it away, right?) to the finished product that went with me to the team meeting for people to see as they made their cards.

What do you think? About the card? About the idea for this as a blog topic? Yea, Nea, Maybea? :) LOLOL

At any rate, I hope I have inspired you to try something new today, maybe with some old scraps.

If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

If you need supplies to make your own cards, you can shop in my ONLINE STORE 24/7.
Today's Card Recipe-
Cardstock- Island Indigo, Whisper White, Paisley Petals DSP
Ink-Island Indigo Classic Ink
Stamps- Petite Pairs, Fabulous Florets
Big Shot-Edgelet, Adorning Accent Embossing Folder, Petals-a-Plenty Embossing Folder
Punches- Mixed Bunch, Modern Label
Accessories- Mini-Glue Dots, Sponges, Tombow

Well, that's all I have for you today. I hope you have a great day. I hope to see you back tomorrow.

Till next time-

Remember- Life isn't about Waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to Dance in the rain

Be Safe,
Shan
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan