Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Open Seas and FMS #23 / My Challenge # 10

Pin It
Hey y'all. Happy Tuesday. I hope you're having a great day, and a great week so far. Just got back from the doctor and am officially on the mend. My oxygen saturation is up to a whopping 98%. Woo-Hoo! Never thought I'd be happy about 98%. Still short of breath on exertion but getting better.

Funny story- my first day of clinicals as a nursing student I had a patient with Dementia, very aggressive, verbally and physically. Not a very nice experience. As I was reading his chart I came across the notation "Pt SOB" I was offended. I told my instructor, "Mrs. Strickland, (who was a gem, by the way) This is horrible! It's not his fault he's not very nice. They shouldn't write something like this about him in his chart, it's an official record!" Hand to God, I said it! I was so serious. I was maybe 20. She looked at me at said all straight-faced... "SOB- Short-of-Breath" and then just smiled. I know she wanted to follow up with a big ole "DUH", but God Love Her she didn't.

Are you laughing yet? I hope so. :)

If not, I hope today's card will at least make you smile. I needed a card for my sweetheart's birthday last Sunday and made one.

But not this one.

And then I thought about how I could use the set for the challenge over at Freshly Made Sketches. I almost didn't submit it for their challenge though, because their guest designer had used the same stamp set and DSP I used in my original card. (I'm going to post it later this week) When I do a challenge, I try and sketch it out before I look at what the Design Team has done so I don't feel like I'm CASE'ing from them. Once I have my idea figured out, I look at what the team has done and what has already been submitted. If mine is different from anyone else's I submit it.

I know this is silly. Why can't more than one person have the same idea? I'm just afraid someone's going to think I copied them and then I'm definitely not going to win anyway. Would you believe one time, I sketched out a challenge, looked at the DT samples and I kid you not, same stamp set, same DSP, same placement everything! I know I should feel like "Great Minds" and all that but nope! So I re-worked my sketch idea, till the only things our cards had in common were that they used the same stamp set, and came up with today's card. I submitted it and I'm really glad I did. You know the Guest Designer I said had used the same set? She thought my card was "Awesome" and how even though we both used the same set how both cards were so "unique".

Here's today's card-


And here's the sketch-


As you can see I turned the sketch on it's side and pulled the squares to the bottom instead of the side, but all of the design elements are still there.

I started with a base of CrumbCake which I ran through my Big Shot in my  Lattice Embossing Folder for some texture. Next came layers of Chocolate Chip, Cherry Cobbler, and Very Vanilla. They were all sponged with Soft Suede. I used my Stampin Write Markers to ink up my stamps from my Open Seas stamp set. I used Not Quite Navy and Chocolate Chip to stamp on the Very Vanilla c/s. The Chocolate Chip layer was Tombowed to the base. Two pieces of Linen Thread were tied around the top section to fill in the extra space and to tie in with the "Nautical" theme. Then the Very Vanilla and Cherry Cobbler c/s pieces were Tombowed together and then applied to the Chocolate Chip piece using Dimensionals.

Here's the inside-



I used the compass image from the front and stamped off 3 times to get the lighter image. However, I realized too late that I forgot to sponge the edges of my Very Vanilla c/s on both cards. SMH... :( I didn't add a sentiment because I'm not sure what I'm going to use this card for.

To be honest I ended up liking this card so much, it was a hard decision as to which card to give my darling. He may still end up getting it for some occasion. :)

Well, I hope you liked today's card and I hope you'll be back soon to see what I have in store for you. If you need supplies to make cards of your own you can shop in my ONLINE STORE 24/7. Remember Sale-A-Bration is only here for another month. Don't wait too long.

Today's Card Recipe-
Cardstock- CrumbCake, Chocolate Chip, Cherry Cobbler, Very Vanilla
Ink- Soft Suede Classic Ink- Chocolate Chip, Not Quite Navy Stampin Write Markers
Stamp Set- Open Seas
Big Shot- Lattice Embossing Folder
Accesories- Linen Thread, Tombow, Dimensionals, Sponges, Clear Blocks

If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)
Till next time-

Remember- Life isn't about Waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to Dance in the rain.

Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan