Thursday, December 15, 2011

End of the Week Technique #12 - Embossing with Glitter

Pin It
Hey y'all! I hope you're having a good day. Well, we are another day closer to the weekend. Woo-Hoo! That means it's time for another End of the Week Technique. It's hard for me to believe it's #12 already. Wow, time is flying by.

Speaking of time flying by, can you believe it's just over a week until Christmas? WOW! Where did the Holiday season go? For that matter, where did the whole year go? I've got another Christmas card for you today. Do you have yours all finished and mailed out yet? I know I don't have. Best laid plans and all that. Hopefully this weekend. SMH. I hope you get yours out of the way and your shopping too, if that's not done yet.

This week's technique is embossing with glitter. Now, I don't know if you know this or not, but I'm not a real big fan of glitter or that whole shimmer, glimmer, ritzy, glitzy look.

Just Kidding! I love L.O.V.E. it! In fact I love it so much I've allowed Tink to take up permanent residence in my studio so she can sprinkle a little shiny love on most of my creations. :-)

I did a preview of this card last week and it's been one of my highest viewed posts. If you're coming over from there, thanks for visiting here to find out more.

Now, I'm still pretty new to a lot of different techniques which is why I'm doing the EWT's. Some of it I'm figuring out as I go. Others I'm getting information and inspiration from other stampers/crafters. This one was kind of a trial by error.

Back in September I did this card, and wanted to put snowflakes in the background of the main card section, but I didn't want them colored. I wanted them to just shine. The only way I knew to get a clear impression was with Versamark so I inked up my stamp and stamped the background with Versamark and then added some Dazzling Diamonds. Woo-Hoo! I was so excited! My sparkly, colorless snowflakes were there. However, if you look closely you can see that some of them are not complete. That's because the Dazzling Diamonds wasn't sticking like it normally does. If you brushed it at all it would fall off. Not at all what I was used to. You know that stuff sticks like crazy with our 2 Way-Glue Pen. So I got out our catalog and started looking and sure enough our Heat and Stick powder says you can use it for glitter. I had seen the Heat & Stick used before with other products but had never ordered it, because I thought it was one of those things you could use or not use, your choice. Big Mistake. Big. Huge! (Anyone catch the movie reference there?)

Let me tell you- If you want your Glitter to stick to Versamarked images you better get you some Heat & Stick powder. Once I got it and tried it I was sold. Like I said, glitter sticks like crazy with our 2 Way-Pen, I mean it's not going anywhere, but that's really more for accenting. If you want an stamped image done, without colored ink you're going to need this powder. Really, I think if you want anything more than just accents done, this is the way to go. Once you're done that shine's not going anywhere!

Here's the card I did with this technique. We did it in my Stampcamp a few weeks ago and the girls loved it. It really makes you stop and take a look.



Believe it or not, this picture does no justice to this card. It's just amazing how much it shines in real life. Light just bounces off of it. It's so pretty and sparkly it's hard to describe. It's definitely a WOW kinda card and it was so easy, you just won't believe it.

It starts with your Stamp-A-Ma-Jig. You do have one of those right? I'm sure you do as much as I've told you it's a necessity. Stamp the image of the Medallion on your imaging sheet and you're ready to rock and roll.

*TIP*- When using an image like the Medallion that could give the same image from many angles it's important to not only mark your stamp but your impression sheet so you know which corner is up and then always stamp that image with those corners matching up. If you don't your image is not going to come out with the correct placement. This is also important when stamping over a previously stamped image so that you can embossing or glitter. Ask me how many times I had to stamp to figure that one out. No wait don't, it's too sad to discuss.

I also stamped the sentiment which is from Four for the Holidays on my imaging sheet because I wanted to make sure it was placed just right as well.

*TIP* - When using an image this large it's easier to stamp your sentiment first in order to make sure you have enough room for it. Ask me how I know this is important. Yep you guessed it. No room for the sentiment on the first try.

Once you have your images on the imaging sheet and you know which corners match up, you've done the hardest part. No, Seriously, the hardest part is done! It's a simple as 1-2-3 from here on out.

1-Put your imaging sheet on your cardstock, find just the right position, ink your stamp really well with Versamark, remove imaging sheet and stamp. Make sure you apply firm even pressure so you get a good image and remove stamp.

2- Pour Heat & Stick powder all over your stamped image, flick off any excess and then using your Heat Tool, heat it just like you would an embossing powder. When you see the change in appearance you're done. You now have a tacky surface ready for your glitter.

3- Pour your Glitter, in this case Dazzling Diamonds, all over your image and prepare to be Amazed! Flick off any excess and then a quick blast of heat from your heat tool all over the image to set things and you're done.

See like I said, Easy as 1-2-3.

Here's a close up-


I used Night of Navy for the base on this card.  Here's a look at the inside, because you know how I love to make sure that's pretty too.


Although you can's see it in the picture, I used my Frost White Shimmer Spray that I had previously mixed up to make my Whisper White cardstock just Shimmer and Glow. I inked up my Medallion stamp with Versamark again and stamped in the lower right corner and then repeated the process from the front of the card. You can't really see the shine here but it's there, trust me. The greeting is from the Christmas Greetings stamp set.

This is my Christmas card for this year and I can't wait to see what everyone thinks. I tell you there are some things you can kind of skimp on, but this is definitely not one of them. Get the Heat & Stick powder and play with it and enjoy it and the compliments you're sure to get!

That's all I have for you today and for this week's technique. I hope you liked the card but more than anything I hope you're going to try this technique. I just can't tell you how much you and your cards recipients are going to love the results. As always if you give this a try, I would love to see what you come up with. If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

Card recipe-
Cardstock- Night of Navy, Whisper White
Stamps- Medallion background stamp, Our for the Holidays, and Christmas greetings
Ink- Versamark and Basic Black Classic Ink (for sentiment)
Accessories- Heat and Stick Powder, Dazzling Diamonds, Heat tool, Powder Pals, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Frost White Shimmer paint.

If you need supplies to make this card or others, you can shop in my ONLINE STORE 24/7. There's still time to get your goodies in before Christmas for yourself or others.

If I don't see you tomorrow, I hope you have a great weekend filled with Family, Friends and of course plenty of time for stamping and crafting.

Till next time-

Be Safe,
Shan


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan