Friday, October 21, 2011

A Quick & Easy Irish Good Luck Wish

Pin It
Hey Y'all! Just poppin' in this morning with a quick post. (I know you're thinking " A quick post from Shan, Yeah, right!") But here it is none the less.

My dear friend James' daughter, Alexandra, who I met over the summer (such an Amazing kid!) is on her way to New York City for a Mock Trial Competition. She's a Senior in High School in Colorado and last year her team finished third in an international competition. How cool is that!?!

I just found out about it last night, so there was no time for me to make a card and send it to Alex. :'(
I decided to do the next best thing...I  would make a card, take a picture and send the pic to her dad and he could show it to her. I figure it'll show up real nice on his I-phone so it'll be almost as good as having it in her sweet little hands. (Plus, I didn't have any Good -Luck stamps (always finding something else to put on my gotta-have list) so just being able to send the card front is a plus! :-)

What's better for Luck than a 4-Leaf clover? I can't think of much, so I knew that's what I wanted to make for her. Here it is -


This is a Q&E card (Quick & Easy). Like a Clean and Simple just a step up. Both layers are Whisper White cardstock. The base is 4.25 x 8.5 scored at 4.25. I used my Simply Scored to Score it. (Can I just say I don't even put that thing up. I score all my card folds now with that instead of just folding them over. It makes for such nice clean edges. You so need to put that on your Wish List!) The second layer is 4 x 4. The frame is from a retired Stampin' Up set, Celtic Knots, that, believe it or not, I found on Craig's List a month ago for $5.00. How could I turn it down? Seriously! I inked it up with my gold ink pad and then stamped it in the center of my cardstock. I used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to make sure I got it centered (Luv It!).

Tip #1- When using stamps that  are close to the size of your ink pad, to ensure you get better coverage on your stamp, lie your stamp on its back and press your ink pad down on the stamp instead of pressing the stamp into the pad. This works whether it's ink or Versamark and is especially useful for background stamps. Works like a charm!

Tip#2- When using the pigment dyes like the gold and silver give them a little extra drying time. Ask me how I know.

For my 4 leaf clover I took some Garden Green and ran it through my Big Shot in my Lattice Folder. (I am so loving that folder!) Then using my Small Heart Punch I punched out 5 hearts, yep I said 5. I then took some scrap Garden Green and cut a 1" x 1/2" for the grass and cut a little curved piece for the stem.

I cut the fringe for the grass and then ruffled it with my fingers to give it a little dimension. It got a little trim later. (You kind of have to judge for yourself how high you want your grass to be)

For the Clover- First I used my Bone Folder to CurlGently, Very Gently Curl the edges to give them some dimension. (I tore one and it made me very sad! *tear*)
Because the hearts are so small I couldn't really stick them to each other , I tried but it just wasn't working for me. So I punched the 5th heart and used it as a base and Tombowed just the tips of the other 4 to the base, nestled up against each other. Now I was cooking with Crisco! (Surely, you've heard that phrase before right? See, We're so educational here!)
I tucked the edge of the stem up under the last heart and tombowed it in place as well. Then I had my pretty, little, lucky, clover. But, it had to be Extra Special and Extra Lucky for Alex, so you know what we had to do... Yep, I called on the Glitter Fairy (I think Tinkerbell lives at my house) and Magically (ok with a magical sweep around the edges of my Two-Way Glue Pen and a dive into the Dazzling Diamonds Glitter Pot) my little Clover was as sparkly as Alex's smile!
A little SNAIL along the bottom of  the grass and the bottom of the stem and a Mini Glue Dot in the center back of my clover and down they went into the center of my Gold Celtic Frame and the only thing left to do was pop that layer up with dimensionals and it's ready to send over the airwaves.

What do you think? I hope she likes it!
And, I told you it would be quick today, well relatively.

If you liked today's card, I would love it if you left me a comment. It's great when I get to hear from you! Also, if you liked today's card, please feel free to +1 or Pin it. I've added the buttons to my side-bar for your convenience. Friends and Followers are also welcome. :)

I hope you have an Awesome weekend and that you come back next week to see what else I have from the studio for you.

As always, if you'd like to recreate this card or others you can shop in my online store, HERE, 24/7.

Till next time,
Be Safe,
Shan Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share a little love with me. I hope you find this blog to be as much of a blessing to you as you are to me. :) Be Safe- Shan